Sepia picture of canon
Blown Away
"into the mists of time"

Greshornish has a special place in the history of Skye. Although there has been a settlement on this site since before the 12th century, the oldest part of the present house dates from c.1740, some one hundred years after Greshornish came into the possession of Donald Macleod. Dr Johnson passed through Greshornish in 1773, but moved quickly on to Dunvegan Castle which provided a style more to his liking! By the mid 19th century the house had become the home of the influential and popular laird, Kenneth Macleod. Kenneth, a descendant of Donald, was born at Gesto in 1809, but left Skye as a young man of 15 with a guinea in his pocket to make his fortune in India. He purchased the Greshornish estates on his return and did much to improve the life of the community even providing Edinbane with the first hospital to be built on Skye.

Kenneth’s plans for improvements to the house in the 1840s show the billiard room and music room above (now Rum) and the kitchens (now dining room) being added. The first floor Georgian drawing room (now Islay) continued in use; Kenneth’s dining room is now our drawing room. No further additions were made to the building until the 1930’s when the bay was added and in 2005 when we added the conservatory, disabled loo and staff pantry. Kenneth continued to live in the house until his death, unmarried, in 1869. His sister Jessie lived on in the house but his 5 year old grand-nephew, also Kenneth, inherited his fortune and his descendants still own part of the original estate. Although the house left Macleod ownership in the 1950s it continued as a private home until the 1970s when the Dickson family began to develop it as a hotel. The Colquhoun family arrived at Greshornish in 2004.

The name Greshornish comes from the Norse meaning the ness of the grice (or the pig’s snout, from the shape of the peninsula).

 

Across the loch

Greshornish gate sign